Fri, Mar 24|
Cooking with Shonte': Jerk Chicken
Join Shonte' in the kitchen as she whips up something yummy!
Time & Location
Mar 24, 2023, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
About the Event
- 1lb Chicken thighs or Legs (I prefer dark meat as it is more tender and juicy)...Vegetarian tip-this recipe can also be done with mixed roasting vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, broccoli, turnips, squash, etc.
- 1 Jar of a wet Jerk Seasoning Marinade the brand I am using is Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Hot & Spicy, but you can get mild. You typically can find this in the international markets in your area or you can order it from amazon here's a link to it https://www.amazon.com/Walkerswood-Jamaican-Jerk-Seasoning-Mixed/dp/B00XFRJVVY/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=jerk+seasoning&qid=1678738335&sr=8-5
- If you wanted to create your own jerk sauce marinade here are the ingredients Scallions, scotch bonnet peppers, salt, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, citric acid(lime juice), cane sugar, thyme leaves, moisten ingredients with olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Marinate the chicken in the sauce in a ziplock bag overnight in the refrigerator prior to class
- Cast Iron Skillet or skillet pan
- roasting /baking sheet
- Ziplock bag
- aluminum foil
- To marinate chicken, pour the entire jar of jerk seasoning into a bag with the chicken, ensure its fully coated, and marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (if you have a roasting option select that), this can also be done in an air fryer.
- Prior to cooking the chicken bring the chicken to room temperature, this helps cook quicker, and evenly, and maintain moisture.
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium-high heat, coat with olive oil
- Sear the marinated chicken in the skillet until golden brown on both sides
- If using a cast iron skillet, add ¼ cup of water to the skillet with the chicken and put it directly in the oven. Cook for a total of 1 hour. 30 minutes covered with aluminum foil and 30 minutes uncovered
- If cooking in a baking or roasting pan follow the instructions above
- Cook until tender and falling off the bone with crispy skin, *baste the chicken along the cooking process
- Enjoy and serve with rice and veggies
*Baste-pour juices or melted fat over (meat) during cooking in order to keep it moist.